Ayurvedic Massage Workshops
MASTERING THE ART OF ABHYANGA
with Eva Ugolini and Ombretta Dettori
Price: €1.295 | €1.200
(Early-bird fee – valid until 1 February 2024)
Starting: 19 April 2024 in Weesp
The Ayurvedic Abhyanga Massage Course is an eight-day program for anyone wanting to explore massage techniques in the field of Ayurveda. By the end of this hands-on course, participants will feel confident to offer a complete Ayurvedic massage to friends, partners, family members or clients. The program will be offered in Weesp, in the beautiful studio of YogaToday, and will take place on the following dates:
Friday, 19 April to Monday, 22 April (Module 1)
Friday, 31 May to Monday, 3 June (Module 2)
THE COURSE INCLUDES:
- Eight classroom days with two very experienced teachers;
- Six hours of pre-recorded lectures on the foundation of Ayurveda by our expert teacher Coen van der Kroon;
- Access to all materials for self study on our super-easy-to-go online Learning Management Platform (LMS);
- A course manual with some theoretical background;
- Homework guidance.
THE COURSE IS FOR:
- Beginners with little or no knowledge of Ayurvedic massage techniques;
- Anyone wanting to enrich their existing practice with the knowledge of Ayurvedic massage skills – thus, yoga students, teachers or therapists; lifestyle and nutritional advisors; sound or energy healers; coaches as well as professional massage therapists.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
The Ayurvedic Abhyanga Massage course will start with a 6 hour pre-recorded masterclass by Coen van der Kroon on the basic principles of Ayurveda. The class will stay available during the whole course and can be re-watched anytime. Topics covered will include:
- Ayurveda: overview and philosophical context
- Shad Darshana and Samkhya: the descent of consciousness into matter
- The 20 Gunas and basic karmas of substances
- The 5 Elements and their connection to the tastes
- The Tridosha Theory: how we function
- Introduction to the sub-doshas
- Dhatus: our physiological building blocks
- Agni and Ama: digesting food and life impressions
- The Mind: Satva, Raja and Tama Gunas
- Prakruti: understanding your unique blueprint
- Vikruti: un-covering your true nature
The course will then continue with eight full days of in-depth, on-location classes, split in two module of 4 days each. These classes are mostly learn-by-doing and interlaced by an important theoretical framework. Under the guidance of Eva Ugolini and Ombretta Dettori, you will explore the following topics:
- Introduction and practice: the ayurvedic daily routine
- Understanding the impact of changes and the relevance of seasonal routines
- Basic principles of assessment: looking at the receiver through the Ayurvedic lenses
- Prana as Life Force and Abhyanga
- Abhyanga: benefits, indications and contra-indications
- Abhyanga adaption to the Doshas: focus on intention, direction, touch and substances
- The skin and basic oils to support the doshas
- Principles of touch and anatomy applied to massage
- Creating safety: basic notion of nervous system and trauma applied to body work
- Protocol of practice
- Self-care for therapists: basic yogic and Ayurvedic practices to fill your cup.
HOW WILL YOU LEARN?
We support the value of learning by doing, so expect the theory to be the support of your own experience and practice. You will be guided on your journey into the energetic elements of the massage practices, as well as supported in mastering the technical aspects. All classes start at 10:00 and end at 17:00 with a 1 hour lunch break. During the in-person classes:
- the teachers will demonstrate each set of techniques in detail and hands-on, offering feedback meant to increase your skills and confidence
- you will be working with several partners, practicing each set of techniques on them: even those that have never offered any massage, will benefit from the experience of connecting with different individuals through touch, discovering the uniqueness of their gunas
- you will experience each technique by receiving it yourself: this contributes to the embodied and deeper experience, from which you will be able to share touch with awareness
- classes are filled with role playing and exercises; you will be offered the possibility to study on your own and practice with your partners in between the two modules
A Certificate of Attendance of Ayurvedic Abhyanga Massage will be granted upon completion of class assignments, reflective practice and a written case study.
Our body-mind system is a wonderful mechanism that has the potential to help us move through life feeling supported and vibrant. As individuals we are the expression of an innate wisdom that exists in a dynamic balance. However, we may experience states of imbalance and disease due to several factors – including lifestyle and nutritional habits, environment and seasonal changes, as well as relationships and upbringing. The Ayurvedic Wisdom goes far beyond prevention and treatment of diseases: it entails a way of understanding reality that directs every single intervention in the field of Ayurvedic Medicine.
With the understanding of these basic principles, we have designed the Ayurvedic Massage Course as a way to connect everyone with an ancient, holistic healing system, capable of healing the subtle layers of mind, emotions and spirit. The approach to learning is embodied as we strongly support embodiment as a form of effortless transmission. The aim is to share the depth of Ayurveda in a way that is approachable and easy to digest: to create space to integrate what you have learned with us over the months of training, in your own life.Eva and Ombretta
Ayurvedic Yoga Massage Training
3-6 November & 1-4 December 2023
Ayurvedic Yoga Massage (AYM) is a method developed by Master Kusum Modak in Pune, India, after many years of studying traditional Ayurvedic massage and Iyengar yoga. It is well-round body work technique that has his foundation in deep tissue techniques, balancing oils and powders, assisted yoga stretches, use of props to offer the massage, functional anatomy and breath-work. The technique is performed on the floor as this allows for a wide range of stretching and mobility, without the assist of a massage table.
The AYM is a massage technique which works on physical, emotional, mental and energetic level. The protocol is such that the giver can calibrate it to suit the needs of different receivers: creating relaxation and stress release, soothing or repairing tissues. The deep tissue massage helps to remove knots and adhesions in the muscles, releases tension and prepares the body of the receiver for assisted yoga stretching. Through synchronized breath-work, the receiver is led progressively deeper into assisted yoga postures that help correct postural imbalances and restore harmony to the body.
The approach is hands on and partner based: you will receive a lot of attention from the teachers that will demonstrate each set of technique in detail. Eva and Ombretta will be available for questions and to support you directly while you will be working with your practice partner.
At the end of the 50 hours training you will feel to have deepened your own relationship with touch and you will feel confident, in offering the full massage. The approach is hands on and partner based: you will receive a lot of individual attention from the teachers that will demonstrate each set of technique in detail, will be available for questions and to support you directly and hands on.
Learning is encouraged by working with different partners, practicing on them each set of technique: you will benefit from the feedback received. We anchor our trainings on transmission: this is what creates the embodied and deeper experience from which you will be able to share touch with awareness.
What are the prerequisite to attend the training?
No previous knowledge of Massage Techniques, Ayurveda or Yoga is required; the training is taught in a way that is accessible to beginners, while Ayurvedic Therapists, Practitioners, Massage Therapists will find the depth of a versatile and in depth healing protocol.
Foundational Ayurvedic Principles will be introduced and discussed: the 5 elements, the 20 gunas, the doshas of the body, the doshas of the mind. If you are already familiar with these topics it will be an opportunity to review and deepen your understanding of them;
Basic principles of Anatomy applied to massage;
The art of touch: the effect on the nervous system and the decluttering of “body-mind”
Indications and contraindications of the AYM protocol
Oils and powders and their properties
The AYM protocol for the back of the body: how to perform deep tissue techniques for the back, shoulders, neck, arms and back of the legs when your partner is face down/prone. We explore the use of the feet and body weight to deeply massage the larger muscle groups as well as a set of assisted yoga stretches for the spine, shoulder blades, hips, knees and ankles;
The AYM protocol for the front of the body: how to offer deep tissue techniques for the front of the legs, abdomen, shoulders, arms, hands, neck, head and face. We will explore assisted yoga stretches for hamstrings, hips, spine and neck;
“Walking on the body” will be demonstrated so that you can explore safely how to balance your body weight and use your feet to massage the body in long strokes. This gives you the potential to use more pressure if needs be, adjusting your body weight;
How to communicate deeper with the receiver, using coordinated breath-work to assist the stretches;
Body dynamics and different positions: so that offering a massage can be a healing experience for both the giver and the receiver
Therapist/giver body mechanic and self-care for the giver will be taught throughout
"Prakruti": dr. Robert Svoboda
AYM Student Manual: step by step photo and theory
Application and Pricing
The technique is accessible to anyone the moment is practiced progressively: no previous experience with Ayurveda, Yoga or Massage is required. However students of Ayurveda and well as professional massage therapists will benefit from the depth of Eva and Ombretta experience.
Students receive an Ayurveda Yoga Massage Certificate and a step by step manual comprising of theory and the AYM protocol.
3-4-5-6 November (10.00 - 17.00 - 1 hour lunch break)
8-9-10-11 December (10.00 - 17.00 - 1 hour lunch break)
€980,- Early birds: September 15
€1.080,- Full price
Payment on 3 instalments: €385,-
The availability is limited, please send your application via email; if you have any question please contact us
© Copyright www.atmanayurveda.nl